Dallas pets Alive!
Project Name
Dallas Pets Alive!
"Making Furever Friends"

Project Date

I updated the UX/UI for the adoptable pet listing and profile pages.

Web and Mobile Browser

Design Tools & Methodology
Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe XD, Paper & Pencil, A/B Testing, User Interviews, Heuristic Evaluation

Key Performance Metrics
engagement time, user feedback

Team Members
UX Designer: Colin Curley (me), UX Design: Allison T., Web Development: Katie P. 
Dallas Pets Alive! is a no-kill animal shelter located in Dallas, TX. They have seen a great deal of growth in the last year having successfully placed 1,312 animals with "furever" friends, and seeing an increase in donations and volunteers. The website experienced an increase in traffic and the web masters were seeking to improve the speed users were able to spend on the listing page and redesign the profile pages for users to easily start the application process. My role was the UX and visual designer collaborating with the web developer Katie P. and UX designer Allison T.. 
Initial Research
Prior to designing, I would create user personas and a survey in order to find the best candidates for my user testing research. I was able to identify potential user goals and avoidances using database research results and interviews of those I know who had rescued pets. I created three user personas based on this information.​​​​​​​
The first user persona would be greater in years and be seeking companionship of an older animal, that would require less training and attention, but would still be in good health. The second user has a family, and is seeking to adopt an animal as an addition to the family. They would prefer a younger animal and would not mind an energetic pet that is compatible with children. The third user is an adult seeking to adopt for companionship, and to have something to keep them active. While they have no children, they may have other pets as well as roommates. With these trends in mind I was able to select candidates for using testing on the current website. 
With these findings in mind I created a wire frame that reflected the discoveries I made in my initial research. I was able to design a layout that was 5 columns wide. Allowing for greater visibility of all the pets available for adoption. I also developed a filter for the search of the listing page allowing for users to only view potential pets they find desirable. I also added a large link that explains the adoption process and features a link to the disclaimer that was previously featured on all the animal profile pages. These designs eliminated unnecessary dialogue from the profile pages while still having important information at the forefront. On the profile pages I also developed a series of icons that could be used to efficiently communicate each animals most desirable traits. After iterating through wire frames I was able to develop the one featured in the link below.

During my testing of this wire frame, I found that a scale feature was more efficient than drop down for some popular search categories such as age and energy levels. I also designed a feature on the profile pages that would allow the user to scroll between profiles directly, rather than having to return to the listing page to view another profile. After sharing my findings with my colleagues, my designs were passed to the web developer to create an improved user experience for potential adopters in the Dallas area.

While some of the design alterations I recommended are still being implemented, the ones that have been added to the web pages saw great results. User time spent on the listing pages saw a ~200% increase contributing to more adoptions of rescue animals. I hope I will have the opportunity to further dissect research data and survey results, gaining a deeper understanding of the users goals. Redesigning the UX for these pages was a very rewarding and experience and I learned a great deal about user goals and interpreting them to make intuitive UX decisions.